Wednesday 6 February 2013

Hair update - Perils of Harmattan and Winter


In the past few months, my hair has suffered and I mean SUFFERED. First was harmattan in Lagos. This years harmattan was brutal for me. My skin was constantly dry, I was moisturizing every hour on the hour and by the top of the hour, my skin was dry again. My hair was dry too... well, at least, I imagine so, but that's one of the potential perils of protective/low manipulation styling. Your hair is hidden, no body sees it and you can kind of get away with neglecting it... and neglect I did. Then I came to Ottawa (Canada) to visit. Why I felt the need to wear my hair out in the dead of winter is beyond me but I took out my cornrows, my hair was breaking from being neglected, I washed and deep conditioned it, a few days later, I touched up my roots. Who does that?  My scalp burned, my hair broke. I spent the whole day and night detangling my hair. My guess is that I will have to cut off a good 4 or 5 inches. Sigh. I don't know for sure yet but right now, I am just focusing on giving my hair as much TLC as I possibly can. Here is what I have been doing:

- Co washing every other day with VO5
 I love that it doesn't have any silicones especially because I have been co washing only and don't plan to shampoo wash for a while. (silicones generally need to be shampooed out or they would cause build up)

- Applying olive oil after co washing



- Braiding in pigtails and tucking away under a lace wig, safe and away from the elements


 Braid while wet to reduce volume
Tuck under wig cap




Wear Lace wig






This is my plan until I get back to Nigeria. Kind of unfortunate because there are so many products that are currently not available in Lagos that I wanted to try out while I am here. But right now, I need to just treat my hair with staple products that I know she loves and leave her alone to recover as much as possible... And yes, I just referred to my hair in the third person. Don't you? :-)

xoxo
Bey

15 comments:

  1. Buy buy buy all the products you need before going back. I regretted not doing that when I went to Lagos last summer. had to settle for overpriced staple products and a sub-par regimen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I know. It's really sad that we don't have access to the products we want and when we do it's so expensive. I am not much of a product junkie, I general stick to products that have worked for me over time so I will definitely be stocking up on my staples. I also plan to get some of the highly recommended products (macadamia deep repair mask, one and only argan oil and a few others). Hopefully this will suffice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do u pulk and put foundation on the parting of your closure?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi. I ave a couple of questions.
    1. When u say co-wash; do u mean u condition ur hair every other day or just weekly. Or rather can this regimen be done weekly?
    2. Wats ur take on shea butter a.k.a.
    Ori?
    3. on protective styling; is it very necessary to use scarves or any form of covering regularly?
    4. Wats ur take on steaming? Is it the same thing as conditoning every other day?

    I would love replies.
    Tanx in advance. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Yes, you can co wash weekly
      2. Shea butter is a good lubricant and sealant especially for natural hair. For relaxed hair, I find that it is too heavy, I prefer to use olive or coconut oil
      3. No. Protective styling is any style where the ends of your hair are hidden. Bun, braids, cornrows, wigs... etc You don't have to use scarves or any covering.
      4. Steam conditioning is good. The heat opens up the cuticle so it absorbs conditioner better.


      Delete
    2. Ok! Tanx.

      How often do u shampoo,co-wash & deep- condition?
      What routine do u recommend for a stater?
      TanX again. Muah!

      Delete
  5. Hi,I love your blog please the Vo5 you co wash with every other day is it shampoo or conditioner?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jst totally lost here. Hav such a horrible head of hair dt I hv resigned 2 fate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hair care today presents you a wide range of Brazilian blowout products which are innovative and effective for professions mootheninging and other hair treatments done in the salons. Buy brazilian blowout online

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously i am really impressed after read this post because that's really helpful for hair fashion and hair products.

    Virgin Hair

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing at all is cost-free nowadays, but confirm that you Buy facebook reviews solitary from the legitimate sources for successful reputation on the internet.
    buy facebook fanpage reviews

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buy YouTube subscribers. That is the newest option for strengthening your Google authority. To know more keep studying this website. buy youtube views cheap

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...