Sunday 3 February 2013

Protective style - Calabarizing

This morning I undid my cornrows, oiled and detangled my hair as much as I could, washed, conditioned, air dried and detangled again. Contrary to popular opinion, I am finding that I suffer much less breakage when I detangle my hair dry as opposed to wet and saturated with conditioner (but that's a discussion for another day). Anywho, I air dried and was a bit confused as to what to do with my hair. So far, I have stretched for 4 months. My last relaxer was in September, so as you can imagine, I had several inches of new growth. I considered flat ironing and wearing my hair straight and out but the thought of the amount of work that would go into that and the fact that I am currently in Canada, in the dead of winter deterred me. I thought of just putting my wig back on but that would require putting my hair in tiny cornrows because that's the only way to get my hair to lay flat under my wig and that again was a little too much effort than I was willing to make. Finally, I opted for some old school 'calabarizing' reminiscent of my boarding school days. I basically put my hair in about 10 braids and held them up in a top knot.  Here's is what it looked like:


Back view





Front view


It took me all of 10mins to do this and I quite like it. Seriously, protective styling is heaven sent isn't it? I just love styling my hair and leaving it alone to just do its thing and grow happily without all the daily combing, curling, brushing, ironing etc. But look at those roots though, I have about 2 inches of them. I kind of like it when I have lots of new growth, I always scrutinize my roots, trying to figure out what my hair would look like if I went natural (again, thats a discussion for another day). Anyways, I think I have stretched long enough..Next stop, getting my relaxer... wish me luck!

Kisses,
Bey







7 comments:

  1. Hi, I love ur blog and u have lovely, lovely hair. I feel motivated after reading about ur blog on Bellanaija.Which hair relaxer do u use? Do u stick with a particular hair relaxer, or do u change it as often as u like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I use motions relaxer and no, I don't change it often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your hair, i also noticed your blog on Bellanaija but i noticed that you did not make mention of hair steaming. Isn't steaming good for the hair? If it is, how many times on a monthly basis is healthy for the hair?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nyc 1. But where can This relaxer be gotten from? Because I noticed that the rate @ which my hair breaks is just too much. Pls where can we get the relaxer from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm,I'm so switchin to motions..good job girl

    ReplyDelete
  6. great beat!
    i wish to apprentice while you amend your site,
    the account aided me a acceptable deal.
    i had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept...

    stronger hair | healthier hair

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow very nice post its all information is really helpful for me and other users regarding to hair fashion and hair products.

    Lace Frontal Closure

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...